Saturday, January 4, 2014

Next weekend

Need to do a hop cleanup batch, something blond with amber/caramel, plenty of hop varieties.  Need to do an inventory, then design the additions properly.

68 gr rogers cascades, 5%?
1 oz nugget 13.5%
1/2 oz cascade pellets 6.7%
8 gr Northdown 9.4%
11 gr Challenger 8.9%

OK, going through this, I like the earthy spicey aroma of the northdown.  I don't recall challenger's flavor, I suppose it is similar. I used it for bittering only, so its a guess at best.

I think the nugget I can leave unopened, save for another batch.

I can use up rogers cascades for stepped bittering, then hit flameout with the cascade pellets, then dry hop the challenger at pitching, then the northdown in secondary.  This will make a muted IPA flavor, the cascades will give a little pine, but the other dry hops will be more earthy.  

Go for upper 5s for abv, use caramel more generously than amber, although neither that much, keep the mash low temp for a thinner beer, IBUs around 50.  

No comments:

Post a Comment