Thursday, December 5, 2013

Going to Mexico

Leaving for Mexico next week.  Alizarin asked me to teach her peeps how to brew.  She asked for a list of equipment/supplies.  I sent one, and she replied that it sounds complicated.  She indicated, however, that they have friends who brew, so I figure that's a start.

I scoured the internet for brewing supplies in Mexico City, and found a single grain wholesaler.  I'm hoping the friends who brew know of a shop.

Here's my plan:  I plan to get a 3 gallon batch of some sort of amber ale into a fermenter and leave bottling instructions.  I noticed a nice water carboy in the background while skyping, and figure they have a kitchen and probably an aggregate of 4 gallons of cooking pots, and access to bags of ice and bleach.

So the things I plan to bring are yeast, a 3 lb bag of dme, a pound of specialty malt (maybe 50/50 crystal120 and munich), and a couple ounces of hops.  I hope they can locate a thermometer, some sort of clean cloth sack so I can steep the specialty malt at a reasonable temperature, and a hose to siphon with.

Sounds like a worthy way to spend time in Mexico City.

No comments:

Post a Comment