Friday, May 2, 2014

Thoughts for next brew

Do I need to take this weekend off?  Or do I try to mash early, then boil late Saturday?

I can make room in a carboy, although it will take some transferring to get done.

Do I have any compelling ideas for beer to make?

My nut brown is finally starting to dry out, and is pleasant to drink.  The stout is grotesquely sweet, maybe I should just pour it all out, it's not improving with age.  The porter is too sweet, but finally drying out to the point of being drinkable, at least.  The big problem with the porter and stout is the lack of a roasty edge on them, especially with the sweetness in each.  Cold-steeping carafa just doesn't cut it.  You need roast barley, and some needs to go in the mash.

Summer is coming, so these dark beers are not where you want to go, anyways.

Maybe I should be experimenting with lagers that run quickly.  I have chamber space now to run cold fermentations.  The issue is time, but if I work with smaller beers and the right yeast, I can cut the time way down, do smaller lager batches, turn them around in 3 weeks.

It would be nice to get a new vienna going, and try lagering it.  I need grain, though.  I have a sack ordered, but don't know when it will be showing up.  I suppose I could go buy a small sack of vienna.

OK, mind is made up, here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment