Friday, February 21, 2014

Planning First Lager

OK, the stars are all lined up for a lager, time to launch.

Bought a Kelvinator ice cream freezer on E-bay for $50.  Bought a temp controller for same on E-bay for $17.  Wired and tested everything this week, chamber is holding a steady 50 df as I write.

Bought two 3 gallon glass carboys that fit (the 5s are too big, but I can fit 3@3 gallons if desired, but starting with 2 for now).

Bought Wyeast 2633 and have been building it up in two stages of starters since Tuesday.  I now have 2 quarts at about 55 df, ready to bring down to 50 df in my new chamber tonight.

Marzen ingredients are on hand: pils, munich, vienna, caramel 120, noble hops.
Planning to use my best recipe to date (done on US-05).  We'll see how the yeast changes the character of the beer.

Need to boil a big pot of water tonight and get it into the fridge, so I can add it for pitching tomorrow.  Planning a 4 gallon boil for 6 gallons of beer.

Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five....

No comments:

Post a Comment